ALL ABOARD THE WALKING SCHOOL BUS!
Walking School Bus
Information for Families, Students, and Schools
There’s plenty of room for Arlington FAMILIES
to get on board!
Family Information Flyers
Do you have students in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL?
Do you live in your SCHOOL WALK ZONE, but…
- don’t walk to school now?
- walk only sometimes and want to walk more?
- walk every day and would like to try something new?
Virginia Safe Routes to School, WalkArlington, Age-Friendly Arlington, and Arlington County’s 55+ Program have the perfect solution for you!
Get on board Arlington’s inter-generational WALKING SCHOOL BUS!
A Walking School Bus is defined as a group of students walking to school with one or more adult leaders. It can be as informal as two families taking turns walking with students to school or as structured as an established walking route with designated “stops”/meeting points, a timetable, and a schedule of trained volunteers.
The Us Bus
Arlington’s inter-generational Walking School Bus, known as the “Us Bus,” pairs adult volunteers of all ages with elementary schoolers who live in the one-mile walk zone to help students walk safely to school. Volunteers pick up students at or near their homes and they all walk together to school. Program Coordinators and Volunteers “drive” this bus, so all you have to do is get on board!
Why Join the Walking School Bus?
Your student will:
- get exercise, socialize and get their “ya-ya’s out” on their way to school
- learn pedestrian safety and life skills
- gain confidence and independence
- get to know volunteer leaders and community members
Your family will:
- enjoy reliable support getting your kids to school
- decrease the stress of the morning rush
- reduce congestion around schools by not driving
- save time
Your school and neighborhood will:
- experience improved safety around school
- benefit from reduced congestion and emissions around school
- build community across generations
Everyone will enjoy the health, safety, and environmental benefits of sustainable, active transportation!
What Support Do Us Bus Families Receive?
Us Bus Families receive comprehensive support from Program Coordinators.
- Volunteer Coordination, Vetting (County and APS) and Training
- Walking School Bus Resources and Arlington Family Tool Kit
- Customized Route Development
- Volunteer Matching and Introductions
- Regular Communication and Updates
- Supplies, including a fluorescent vest and safety items!
The Us Bus needs student “passengers” to make it go!
How Do We Get on Board?
Complete the Contact Form below and we’ll send you an Interest Form!
How Do I Find Out More?
If you’re interested in having your student join a Walking School Bus in your neighborhood, complete this CONTACT FORM and we’ll be in touch!