ALL ABOARD THE WALKING SCHOOL BUS!
Walking School Bus
The Us Bus is LOOKING FOR ADULT AND SENIOR VOLUNTEERS to help lead our Walking School Buses at elementary schools around Arlington!
Volunteer Information Flyers
Are you up early in the morning? Would you like to fit in a bit of exercise before most people climb out of bed? What if you could get that exercise in your own neighborhood and also help your neighbors?
Age-Friendly Arlington, Arlington County’s 55+ Program, WalkArlington, and Virginia Safe Routes to School have the perfect solution for you – help power our inter-generational WALKING SCHOOL BUS!
What is a Walking School Bus?
A Walking School Bus is defined as a group of students walking to school with one or more adult leaders. It can be as informal as two families taking turns walking with students to school or as structured as an established walking route with designated “stops”/meeting points, a timetable, and a schedule of trained volunteers.
The Us Bus
Arlington’s inter-generational Walking School Bus, known as the “Us Bus,” pairs Adult Volunteers of all ages with elementary schoolers who live in the one-mile walk zone to help students walk safely to school. Volunteers pick up student “passengers” at or near their homes and they walk to school as a group.
The Us Bus needs Adult Volunteer “drivers” to make it go!
Volunteers set their own schedules.
“Drive” the Walking School Bus as much or as little as you want! The feel-good feeling will put a spring in your step all week!
Each Us Bus outing requires only about ONE HOUR of volunteer time.
Whether one hour or more, one morning or more, the time commitment and weekly schedule is UP TO YOU!
Volunteers receive comprehensive support from Program Coordinators, including:
- Vetting through Arlington County and Arlington Public Schools
- Training by Us Bus Coordinators
- Coordination with APS schools and families
- Development and Testing of Us Bus walk zone walking routes
- Safety Equipment and Supplies, including a fluorescent vest and your own flag!
A small Volunteer commitment yields huge rewards!
What are the Benefits?
- Inter-generational connections
- Opportunities to give back
- A chance to socialize and get “ya-ya’s” out
- Pedestrian safety/life skills
- Confidence and independence
- New friends of all ages
- Support getting kids to school on foot
- Decreased stress in AM routine/driving challenges
- Decreased congestion around schools (fewer cars dropping off)
- Improved safety for all!
Program Coordinators walk the talk
Program coordinators have been leading the Us Bus at Oakridge Elementary School since Spring 2022, so the bus is road-tested and ready to roll!
If you’re interested in volunteering, or just doing a test walk on one of our regular Us Bus routes, complete this CONTACT FORM and we’ll be in touch!